Friday, December 30, 2011

The Price of Fashion

While my husband may be somewhat grateful for the newfound sense of fashion Manhattan bestowed upon me during my time there, he may not be as amused at the price tag.  Fashion literally comes at a price, and having said that I pride myself on creating a wardrobe that combines cheaper items with more expensive ones to create what I think is a unique blend.   This being said, just today I was mentioning how quality seems to be going down in a lot of brands (that's for a different blogpost.)  Now days, if you want quality, you need to be prepared to pay top dollar for it.  My time in Manhattan taught me if nothing else that the cut and fit of clothing is essential.  Price and quality aside, you need to have clothes that fit you well if you want to truly feel put together.  (This sometimes proves to be a challenge for me.  I am a curvy size 8 with a full chest and a slight difference in cut can cross the fine line between professional and too revealing).  This is primarily what I paid attention to rather than fabric or quality for a long time.  As long as it fit me, I'd buy a lot of something cheap from anywhere - Weathervane (remember that place?) to American Eagle.  Now that I'm getting even older, however, I pay much closer attention to fabric and quality as a factor in the price - smarter shopping.   

Speaking of smarter shopping, today I want to give a shout out to one of my absolute favorite clothing brands - Tory Burch.  Her clothes may be expensive at first round, but if you're patient and wait for them  to go on sale, they get knocked down to prices that are in a much more comfortable zone.  Take this Tory Burch dress I bought earlier this fall, for instance.  $595.00 when it was first available - I bought it for $175.00.  And for the price, you get immaculate quality.  The dress is 100% silk.   


Paired with these Kenneth Cole boots in 100% leather / brown suede (bought on sale at 50% off for $80.00) and a cozy cardigan, I felt totally ready for the cooler weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment