Wednesday, February 1, 2012

RecipeSolutions: Easy Beef Stew

I was going to wait to post this recipe until I had a nice and snowy, frigid winter night on my hands.  The meal I am about to make is total cold weather comfort food.  Well, as I write this, it is 60 degrees outside.  60 DEGREES!!!!  On February 1 - normally the dead of winter.  Who would have thought?  Anyway, I have all the ingredients for this I don't want to waste and time on my hands tonight.  So, I offer you a delicious beef stew recipe that is satisfying and surprisingly easy to whip up!  Enjoy!


Ingredients:


1 1/2 pounds cubed beef FOR STEWING
2 carrots (large)
2 potatoes
1/2 onion
chopped mushrooms
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
nutmeg
salt and pepper
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 tbsp vegetable oil


1.  Add vegetable oil to skillet and turn on burner to a medium-high heat.


2.  While oil is warming, cut cubed beef into smaller bite sized pieces and set aside.


3.  In a large mixing bowl, mix flour with 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.


4.  Coat beef with flour mixture and gently add to skillet.  Begin browning beef.


5.  While beef is browning, chop 1/2 onion and add to skillet.


6.  While beef continues to brown, peel and chop carrots and potatoes to bite-sized pieces and add to skillet.  Add mushrooms.


7.  Once beef is completely browned, add 1 cup water and chicken bouillon cubes to skillet.  Cover and simmer at low heat for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally to cook evenly.  I like to stir every 10 min.  Mixture will thicken to a stew consistency.  


8.  Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste and serve!


Amazingly flavorful and naturally satisfying, it's a perfect winter meal (and the ONLY thing I will actually use red meat for.)  For every other recipe, I substitute ground turkey, chicken etc.  But, let's face it.  Beef stew just needs beef!



No comments:

Post a Comment