Sunday, January 1, 2012

Restaurant Review - Beacon Grille

Hubby and I rang in the New Year last night at the Beacon Grille in Woburn, MA.  Located less than a half hour from our house, it was on our list of local places to try.  Turns out we were smart to wait - it was the perfect place for our New Year's celebration!


We had a 8pm reservation but showed up a bit early at 7:30 for a chance to check out the bar.  The place had a decent wine list and drink menu, and prices were pretty much what you'd expect, if not slightly less (Ivan paid $5.50 for his beer, I paid $8.00 for my limoncello.)




After meeting up with our friends, we were seated for our meal in the main dining room.  




Two things really struck me right away about this place:  (1) even though it was a busy night everywhere for eating out and reservations, the atmosphere remained relaxed and efficient.  (2) there is a glass wall allowing a full view into the kitchen where all the food was being prepared (you can see it in the picture above).  I LOVE a place where I can see right into where they are cooking my food!


Check out the Phantom Gourmet review for the Beacon Grille:




After seeing this review, we decided to take their advice and order the onion rings for an appetizer.  It did not disappoint!  Ivan ordered the French Onion Soup as well, which came warm, cheesy and well seasoned.  For our main courses, Ivan ended up with the


New Zealand Lamb Rack Roasted lamb rack crusted with Provençal herbs, Dijon mustard, and breadcrumbs. Served with roasted fingerling potatoes and sautéed spinach


While I opted for the



Duo of Stuffed Shrimp Three lobster stuffed shrimp, three crab stuffed shrimp, creamy lobster sauce, with mashed potatoes and butternut squash.



I can't speak for the lamb rack as I don't eat red meat, but Ivan was impressed and tells me it was tender, cooked exactly as he ordered (medium rare), and that the dijon mustard added a great extra kick.


As for my meal, I was pleasantly surprised to receive six GIGANTIC shrimp on my plate with generous portions of lump crab and lobster meat without a lot of the carb-filled stuffing; finished with a delicious lobster sauce.  I did opt to substitute my butternut squash for some asparagus as I thought the squash and mashed potatoes on the same plate would be too much "mushy" food.  The waitress was friendly and very accommodating. 


For desert, I got a special "New Years" creation which was not on their regular menu.  Light and airy lemon cream cake served in a wine class with lemon cream, house-made whipped cream, and fresh berries was the perfect light option to round out the meal.


Everyone had plenty of leftovers to take home which I will be happily digging into later tonight while watching the Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy (a New Year's tradition!)


May everyone have a wonderful year ahead full of health and happiness!  xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Ashley,

    We were delighted to read your blog, and learn about your experience with us on New Year's Eve. Thank you for choosing to ring in 2012 with us! We hope to have the pleasure of serving you and Ivan again soon.

    Best regards,
    Joyce Vyriotes
    Beacon Grille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joyce,

      Thanks so much for your note! Ivan and I are thrilled to have found a nice place that doesn't require us going all the way in to Boston! We will definitely be back!

      ~ Ashley

      Delete